Hadhrat Imam Ghazali (May Allah shower His mercy on him) says: There are 7 points of etiquette to be observed in Hajj:
1. The first is that, before the Hajj, the expenses of the journey should be arranged from Halal earnings and a pious friend should be searched for, as Halal earnings create Noor in the heart and a pious friend will stop you from sinning and remind you of good deeds.
2. The second is that in this journey, there should be no thought of trade or business, because when we lean towards business, etc., our intention of Hajj will not remain sincere. Although, the Holy Quran has not forbidden business, but there is a world of a difference between the Sahabah and us. They would perform business also to aid the religion and we will end up performing Hajj with business considerations.
3. During the journey, widen your board and share it everyone, your fellow passengers, with whom you take vehicles on hire, feed all of them and make them happy. Don’t talk harshly with anyone, instead behave with be gentle and loving with everyone.
4. Stop indecent talk, quarrels, useless talk and talk about the matters of this world. After taking care of what is needed, busy your tongue in recitation of the Holy Quran and Dhikr of Allah Ta'ala.
5. As far as possible, try to avoid any grand means of conveyance. Instead sit on the supply camel (or other such vehicle), so that when you present yourselves at the door of Allah Ta'ala, you are disheveled, covered with dust and look like the poor and needy people. In this journey, don’t think about adorning yourself or any comfort.
6. Sometimes, get down from the mount and walk a bit. The owner of the mount (vehicle) will also feel happy with it, the mount will also be relieved and with this, you will also remain active.
7. Be goodhearted about whatever expenses or financial/monetary losses occur in this journey. Consider this a sign of the acceptance of your Hajj and hope for reward from your Lord.